Saturday, October 30, 2010

September 19th Vermillion Valley Resort to Evolution Meadow

It was an early morning, yes, today. I was up before the dawn. And I really have enjoyed my stay, but I must be moving on. Guess I am a Supertramp. :-) Truly it was dark when I left VVR with what may have been the heaviest pack I've carried so far. A tricky task trying to shove a week's worth of food into a bear can, but this resupply has to see me through to Kennedy Meadows. Headlamp blazing, I headed down the dirt road to the great high earthen wall of the dam and its spillway. Made it to the trail head for Bear Ridge with no problems thanks to Rock Star's directions at dinnertime. Bear Ridge is a great connecting trail that climbs the ridge along the south shore of Lake Thomas A. Edison and links with the PCT about six miles in. Another high pass, Selden this time at 10,887, but a very gentle ascent, which the old legs appreciated. Still loving all this mountain scenery. I'm soooo lucky! The mountain lakes have such beautiful settings, surrounded as they are by granite spires. I understand why John Muir, when writing about this showcase of nature, almost reached a religious fervor in his writings. Dropping down towards the South Fork of the San Joaquin, I was looking for a trail marker that would point me in the direction of Muir Ranch, but I never found one. Instead, I turned onto a trail at a trail junction with a sign pointing toward Kings Canyon. The sign indicated that the other trail led to Florence Lake. Two miles down the trail I began to question my decision, but I kept walking even though my apprehension was growing. At the point when I was about to turn around and return to the junction, a couple of hikers appeared on the trail ahead. They assured me that I was on the right track and that the Piute Creek crossing was only five minutes off. From there, the trail entered the narrow canyon of the San Joaquin River, which, for me, was today's top feature. Steep canyon walls, the trail perched above the rushing river, aspen leaves starting to turn a brilliant yellow in the days of late summer, and John Muir Rock seemingly guarding the northern entrance. The most strenuous part of the day was leaving the San Joaquin to climb up to Evolution Valley. The first thing I had to do at the top was wade through the calf-deep waters of Evolution Creek to access the trail on the far side. No bridge, log crossing or rock hopping here and therefore soggy feet. Eager for maximum mileage, I got greedy and overshot the established campsites. So, at the end of the day, I was left clearing a sheltered area off trail of accumulated pine cones in order to pitch my tent. Can't believe I hiked so far today.

Marie Lake--North of Selden Pass

Trail Near the Timberline

Sierra Sun and Snacking

30 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment