Saturday, October 30, 2010

September 21st Palisade Creek to Lower Rae Lake

I awoke to a supremely gorgeous fall day, a sky of pale blue and nary a cloud in it. Gets light early when you're camped up high above 10,000 feet, which is in contrast to the camps down in the canyon remaining in the shade until nine. Must have been too early for some though, as I quietly walked past tents with backpackers still snoozing inside. Mather and Pinchot were both great with scenery much like that near Muir Pass. The only real difference is that these two were both over 12,000 feet. Some bad news to report. I lost my balaclava on the switchbacks leading up to Mather Pass. It must have worked itself out of my pocket as I was high-stepping it up the trail. I wanted to retrieve it, but the thought of going back down to look for it wasn't very appealing. Besides, there are only a few more days on the trail that I'll have need of it. I'll just have to make due with the hood on my rain jacket to insulate my head and ears from the morning cold. Thankfully, it's the only item I've lost after travelling so many miles. The trail between the passes was mostly well above the treeline, the only green coming from clumps of alpine grasses or the occasional stunted bush. Passed a few JMTers who were confounded by the speed in which I overtook them. When asked how I did it, I told them not to feel bad. By now, my legs had powered me nearly 2,000 miles along the length of the PCT. The late afternoon was a trip down memory lane. I had walked this section of trail with my dad and my Uncle Jim when I was eleven years old. Now a full three decades later, I was back and the mountains didn't look a day older. Ha! I witnessed again why the Rae Lakes area is so popular with backcountry hikers with its imposing mountains, one of which, Fin Dome, really stands out with its uniquely glaciated granite. The lakes themselves are magical with Arrowhead Lake and Dollar Lake being their equals. Softly bubbling brooks wandering through open glades. It doesn't get any better than this. A special feeling to be camped here.

Mather Pass

Well Above the Treeline

Pinchot Pass

27 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment