Friday, October 29, 2010

August 26th Past Peavine Creek to Hat Creek Rim

A few morning views to take away the bitter edge of yesterday's experience. The first only five miles in was lovely Rock Creek, like an oasis in the desert, small rivulets plunging into quiet pools, their edges lined with cattail, ferns and grasses. Another five miles and it was spring-fed Burney Falls tumbling over a hard basalt outcrop. I had a chance to clean up at the campground and use an actual flushing commode. Ah! It's the little things in life. One lady, seeing my hiker attire, commented, "Oh, out for the day, are you?" I replied, "Actually, a little longer than that." Sometimes you don't even try to explain. I saw some people, many of whom were overweight, piling out of their air-conditioned tour coach and I simply felt worlds apart. They'll never know my kind of experience. Another ten miles and I was at Crystal Lake Fish Hatchery, filling up with seven liters of water where Crystal Lake and Baum Lake nearly touch. The long, waterless stretch along the Hat Creek Rim awaited. Pushed through the lava fields during the hot part of the day and put the leggings on, going full-trouser to avoid any sunburn on the lower extremities. By six, I was on the rim and things were beginning to cool off, especially with the evening breeze. Pushed on as far as I dared. I'll get an early start tomorrow because I don't want to be caught up here in the heat of the day.

Burney Falls

Lest I Forget

Hat Creek Rim

34 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment