Saturday, October 30, 2010

September 1st Belden to Big Creek Road

Was at the post office early. The postwoman arrived at 8:30, half an hour before opening time, and was kind enough to get my package for me. I got things arranged as fast as I could and took off back to the trail. It was a quick two mile up and down to get back to Highway 70 and cross the bridge into Belden Town, which, even though it was mid-morning, showed very few signs of life. A sleepy little backwater in my estimation. I followed the road through town until it reached the railroad tracks, where the PCT started its winding route on the other side. The trail wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought when looking at the maps. Mostly long switchbacks with a manageable gradient. So, one foot in front of the other and dig in with the trekking pole and I made fairly good time. With the slight incline, you can almost trick yourself into believing you're walking on level ground and therefore keep up a pretty good tempo as you climb higher. It's the steep climbs that slow the pace and cause the calves to burn. Once at the top, or nearly so, I saw the familiar granite outcroppings which signalled that I'd entered the Sierras. Not the stark magnificence and towering peaks of the High Sierras, but the Sierras nonetheless. That made me very happy because for me, as far as hiking is concerned, the Sierras are home. The rest of the day flew by, caught up as I was in this feeling of familiarity and comfort in my surroundings. And yes, I easily fulfilled my goal of trail miles I'd set for myself in Belden. With all the uphill, I questioned whether I would.

The Couch---North Fork Feather River

Big Creek

Sunlight and Shade

24 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment