Friday, October 29, 2010

August 19th Paradise Lake to Cub Bear Spring


Looked at the map last night and saw that Etna summit is only 29 miles off, so I opted for an easy day cause I don't want to stay in town. Believe me, town stops are nice and the food served in the restaurants is delicious, but eating there and sleeping in a motel would soon break this miniscule budget. In and out on a quick trail resupply. The only thing I worry about is the hitch. Well, I didn't get on the trail until eight as I needed the extra time to dry the sleeping bag's outer shell since camping by lakes usually results in increased condensation in the tarptent. The cliffs around Paradise Lake were among the first to catch the morning sun and this was reflected beautifully in its calm, shallow waters. The first half of the day, especially around Marble Mountain, was very pretty with its rock outcroppings, wildflowers and burbling springs. The second half was hot and much drier out on some exposed terrain. The stopping point is a camp near Cub Bear Spring, which is barely trickling. However, it has a very small clear pool about the size of a kitchen sink that is deep enough to dip my tin cup into and transfer the water to my two-liter Platypus bladder. When water is hard to come by, these little springs are safe havens and the water they provide can sure quench a thirst. Ahhh! Machine sent word back through the Nobos that she had a ride arranged for Etna at 7:30 p.m., but I already had my plans.
Black Marble Mountain
Little Marble Valley
Mars Crater Lake
23 Miles




No comments:

Post a Comment