Friday, October 29, 2010

August 18th Lower Devils Peak to Paradise Lake

Made the fast, steep descent into Seiad Valley and was at the post office shortly after they opened in order to mail off maps of past sections and the journal entries written on their backs. Seems like the locals are pretty involved politically, at least against the Siskyou Monument, as there were signs opposing it in front of nearly every house. The road walk wasn't bad as those things go. Not much traffic and early enough that most areas were shaded. The most scenic thing about it is that it follows the course of the Klamath River for a stretch. I met some Nobos at the trailhead and asked about Machine. None had seen her, so I assumed I had passed her up in the valley. A crushing uphill climb from 1,500 to 7,000 feet was made more tolerable by following Grider Creek up its canyon for a good way. I took long breaks at Bark Shanty Creek and the last bridge spanning the Grider, washing the sweat out of my clothes and going for a short dip in my skivvies at a swimming hole. It was there after I was back in full kit that I finally met Machine. Sure enough, she'd been in the Seiad Cafe eating pancakes when I'd passed. I informed her of the names and progress of the other Sobos and now, I believe I've personally met every Sobo thru-hiker that is attempting it this year. Felt great to reach some level trail along the ridgeline since the old muscles were definitely beginning to fatigue. There's some lovely country up here in Marble Mountain Wilderness---rocks, lakes and cliffs. Supposed to be bear country too, so I hope to see one, just not tonight. Ha. Settled into a nice stealthy campsite at the edge of Paradise Lake. Machine, who lagged most of the day, caught me a few miles back, but may have decided to camp up on the ridge.

Paradise Lake

Stealthy Camp

32 Miles



No comments:

Post a Comment