Friday, October 29, 2010

August 1st Beyond Tunnel Falls to Paradise Park

Early morning and the continued ascent of the Eagle Creek Trail. Certainly a pleasant enough walk for an uphill. When I swithced to the Indian Creek Trail, that's where things got tough. Though only 1.5 miles long, it goes straight up the mountain. No switchbacks- just a Stairmaster
Deluxe workout. Definitely the hardest I had it today because the rest was Oregon easy miles, mostly in the shade of the forest with no major elevation changes, barring the descent to Ramona Falls and the subsequent climb towards Timberline Lodge. Logged 30+ and still managed to finish a tad early. The new shoes and socks with the Levagaiters are a winning combo. The highlights of the day were the views of Mt.Hood as it got closer and closer. I'm camped on its shoulder at the moment and tomorrow will see me climbing more of it. Another big highlight was Ramona Falls. Loads of Sunday hikers were out with their dogs or had kids in tow. When I passed them, I could smell the soapy perfume smell of the recently washed. I could only imagine what they were smelling as my shirt was soaked with sweat. Ramona Falls itself isn't very big, but what water there is, fans out as it cascades down a face of volcanic rock. I took the opportunity to soak my feet and rinse out my shirt. Couldn't stand it for too long,however, as the water was bone-chillingly cold. I've positioned myself well for the buffet breakfast at the lodge tomorrow morning. Less than five miles out.

Mount Hood

Ever Closer

Ramona Falls

31 Miles








No comments:

Post a Comment