Friday, October 29, 2010

August 27th Hat Creek Rim to Old Station


Up before dawn to put in miles before the heat arrives. Actually, it was rather chilly at the beginning of my hike due to the strong morning wind. The trail follows the rim for the most part so its a major vantage point for overlooking the entire area. I'm not up here alone as I have cows for company. Just have to be careful about where I step at times. Squish. Most of the cows run off when I approach. However, a few of the braver kind just stop and stare, unconcerned. The wind died down close to nine and then the heat began to set in. Very little shade up here since there are only a few stands of pine. All else is scrub, lava rock and dry yellow grasses. Fortunately, I didn't have to experience the crucible because I was off the rim by one in the afternoon. From my experience, the most intense heat is between three and five. Hit my resupply at Old Station P.O. an hour or two later and then followed the directions the postwoman had given me to the Heitmans, local trail angels who have a five acre ranch and put up hiker trash. A Haven indeed for these weary bones. Shower, laundry, Internet and great digs in the treehouse where I watched some videos and unwound. Wonderful supper with salad, meatloaf and scalloped potatoes. Hiker hunger has kicked in. I've been cramming food on the trail and in town, but when I stepped on the scale in the bathroom, it showed me at 140 pounds. Can that be right?
The Treehouse
23 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment