Friday, October 29, 2010

August 22nd Chilcoot Creek to Castle Crags

A well-deserved late start after yesterday's push. The trail remains fairly level, so I was still in position to reach the thirty plus miles I had planned. A number of people on day hikes as it's the weekend. I wonder what I must look like to them. Do I look like a person who's been on the trail for almost two months? The country was similar to yesterday's, but in the late afternoon, up on high exposed ridges, it was a bit hot from the sun. There were some magnificent views of Mount Shasta, which still has plenty of snow despite the soaring temperatures. As soon as Castle Crags came into view, I knew it was close to quitting time. My water source, a cascading creek, was not far off, and one hundred meters beyond it was my campsite, hidden behind a tree up and off the trail. The flat space cleared of brush was no bigger than my tent, so it was a tight squeeze yet well protected from the wind which had kicked up. Mornings and evenings at this altitude (7,000 feet) are now noticeably cooler. Fall is not far off.

Pitcher Plants

Mt. Shasta

Castle Crags

31 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment