Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 8th Slopes of Mount Baden Powell to Upper Lytle Creek Ridge

Zipped down the remaining switchbacks at first light, my only real concern being the hitch into and out of the resupply town of Wrightwood. After my Tehachapi experience, I was wondering if I'd have to walk all the way; something I wouldn't be too thrilled to do again. I came out onto a rest area along Highway 2 and took advantage of the toilet and the picnic table. Bladder empty and belly full, it was back up the other side to the top of Blue Ridge, across Jackson Flat, past Grassy Hollow Visitor Center and back down to Highway 2. It was here that I would make the attempt to get a ride. Problem was, much like that at Etna Summit, there were no cars on the road at all. Not letting time go to waste, I immediately set out along the road to town. At the midway point, Highway 2 hit a crossroads with another highway and a mountain road. Consequently, the traffic increased and it wasn't too much longer that I had my ride. A kind gentleman drove me the rest of the way into town and dropped me off at the post office. Same routine---get the maps, shop for food, ice cream ritual, then back to the edge of town hitching for a ride to the trailhead. Five minutes max and Melissa pulls over asking where I'd like to go. She says she always likes to help out the hikers that come to town and had had plenty of contact with thru-hikers before. How wonderful it was that she was travelling that stretch of road today and helped out this hiker! I was back on the trail fully loaded much earlier than I had expected. Continuing on the PCT along the length of Blue Ridge, I was soon looking down at Wrightwood, 2,500 feet below me. The remainder of the day was spent ridge walking as Blue Ridge transitioned into Upper Lytle Creek Ridge and the mountain pines once more gave way to brush and desert scrub. The last miles of the day, saw me passing through the Sheep Fire area. I had heard that the closure would be rescinded in October, so seeing no signs to indicate that it was still closed, assumed that it was now open. There had been substantial regrowth in the area from what I could see, but the blackened branches of manzanita and charred trunks of pinyon pine were evidence that a fire had raged here not too long ago. I found a level place just off the trail that had avoided the burn for my camp, which you can see in the photo. I haven't used my tent in some time and don't plan to as long as the weather holds. It's a wonderful sensation to wake up at night and gaze up into a sky filled with stars.

Cowboy Camping

24 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment