Friday, October 29, 2010

August 6th Big Lake Youth Camp to Mesa Creek

A month out on the trail and close to 700 miles behind me. I'm a quarter done. Unbelievable! After all I've experienced, seen, suffered- to say that's only 25%. Every day on the trail does seem to bring new sights and new challenges. Today I walked through the Little Belknap lava fields, the molten rock fixed in time from an earlier era. It amazes me how after all this time the only thing growing in most of this barren, martian landscape is the lichen on the rocks. No other plants can gain a foothold without any soil to grow in. Cinder cones were everywhere, Big Belknap being one. Some of the larger ones formed a cluster that went right up the side of North Sister. At their base, another huge lava flow spread out into the distance. I'd love to have seen what Three Sisters Wilderness looked like when it was volcanically active. It must have been jaw dropping. There were plenty of alpine meadows as I climbed higher. One was enough to rival Jefferson Park, being chock full of Mountain Bluebell, an exquisite crimson-colored Indian Paintbrush plus the light green of the verdant grasses. I saw all three Sisters, but unfortunately their peaks were ringed with clouds. In the late afternoon, I entered a competition with some equestrians. I wanted to see how long I could stay in front of them, so I quickened my pace significantly. I was able to stay out front for a good long while, but finally had to give way. With them in the lead, I did my best to remain on their tails. This helped me get the miles I wanted as I was lagging before the horses came on the scene. I'm camping for the night near Mesa Creek. Its chilly meltwaters sure can slake a thirst and ease the throbbing of some barking dawgs.

Little Belknap Lava Field

Mountain Meadow

Collier Cone

32 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment