Friday, October 29, 2010

July 13th Vista Ridge to Fire Creek Pass

It rained most of the night, but thankfully was warm and dry in my tent. Slipping on cold, damp socks and shoes is always a bit of an agony though. Through more drizzle and mist we worked continuously upward towards Dolly Vista, which saw the worst of today's weather in the form of snow flurries. Walking higher through snowfields trying to find signs of the trail I steer in the direction of a small, relatively snow free, grassy hillock, when out pops a marmot that moves down to the edge of the snow. He stops, looks up and gives me a classic look as if to say, "What on earth are you two fools doing up here?" As I draw closer he runs back up, gives me one more backwards glance and zip, he disappears into his warm, snug burrow. Really hilarious with us huffing and puffing mist out in the cold. Past Dolly Vista the weather slowly began to improve as the mist grew thinner and the wind and rain/snow abated. Most of the day was spent in snow as we finally came to Mica Lake, half encompassed by a stone-walled bluff. It's frozen waters of clear light blue and deeper cobalt could compare favorably with the crystalline waters of tropical atolls in the South Pacific. The watery hues of nature's pallette on full display. Steady work with the ice axe eventually saw me on an icy traverse high up on a side wall near Fire Creek Pass. I did my best to stomp some footholds for John, but the conditions made it very difficult. I made it to the pass and then went back to look for John. I was worried because I couldn't see him following in my footsteps. Looking lower, I finally spied him. He had slipped and slid down a snow chute, snapping one of his trekking poles in the process. Despite the fall, I was very glad to see that he was OK. I worked my way down to him along a better route. When both of us reached Fire Creek Pass it was fast getting dark so we used the emergency campsite at the very top. Quite serviceable. I was only praying the wind wouldn't whip up during the night. Just before night fell and the mist closed in to chill the bones, a brief opening of the clouds revealed a breathtaking panorama that had previously been hidden. A harbinger of good things to come.

Dolly Vista

Mica Lake

Fire Creek Pass at Dusk

13 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment