Friday, October 29, 2010

July 20th Waptus River to Snoqualmie

Having hiked 34 miles yesterday I certainly believed I could cover the 24 miles of Detour B to reach Snoqualmie by day's end. That way I would finish this section in two days when I originally had reckoned it would take four. My legs were tired from the up and downs of yesterday's trek, so there was some residual stiffness in the muscles as I began the hike up to Dutch Miller Gap. As beautiful as yesterday's section was, I found this part even more magnificent. Lake Ivanhoe, in particular, has an incredibly breathtaking setting situated as it is below the gap, surrounded on all sides by steep slopes with little streams cascading into its dark waters. Once past the gap it was a nice walk on sandy paths along Middle Fork with many small side streams and some lovely open meadows. In some places the trail was fairly overgrown with ferns and other plants. The most difficult part of the day was the mid-afternoon til evening on the way to Snow Lake. Quite a few blowdowns at lower elevation and then on the climb to the lake the brush got really thick and the trail was completely overgrown making it extremely difficult and slightly dangerous on the steep, rocky path. I had initially decided to camp at Snow Lake, but on getting there the plans changed because it was snowbound, so no reasonable place to pitch a tent. Go figure! Ha. Problem was that on the rocky descent there were no suitable campsites either. Therefore, circumstances dictated that I had to continue hiking until I reached the ski area near Snoqualmie. Picking up the pace on the downhill I came out at the Snow Lake trailhead at dusk. Still didn't see any place to camp, so I took refuge in a small open shed, laid out my sleeping pad and bag on the wooden floor, ate dinner and went to sleep.

Overgrown Trail

Below Dutch Miller Gap

24 Miles



No comments:

Post a Comment