Friday, October 29, 2010

August 29th Old Station to Warner Valley Campground

Revived, rested, recharged and refreshed, I left the Heitman's and Old Station at 9 a.m. after a huge breakfast with breakfast burritos, buttered bagel halves topped with black cherry jam washed down with a glass of OJ. I felt off tempo when I got back on the trail, but soon found my rhythm again. Not far into the hike I entered Lassen Volcanic National Park. The forest was nice with big trees, but it had obviously suffered some fire damage from what I could see. Along the far northern part of the park, little frogs no bigger than an inch long are prevalent, the majority of which jump to the side off the trail as you approach. The ones you have to watch out for are the ones that hop along the trail because you don't want to squash the poor critters. Lots of open meadows with names like Badger Flats or Grassy Swale and enough lakes and streams to keep you happy and your water bottle full. Some short sections of the trail are actually raised wooden walkways in the swampiest areas. All in all a lovely day of hiking and none to strenuous to welcome me back. Holed up in Warner Valley Campground since technically camping outside the established campgrounds in the park is frowned upon. Each site has a bear box, so at least I know my food will be safe.

24 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment