Saturday, October 30, 2010

September 12th Past Golden Lake to Kennedy Canyon

Such a marvellous day! A wonderful early walk south/southeast following the East Fork of the Carson River up the canyon to its headwaters. I climbed up the switchbacks, which eventually topped the canyon wall and led to the east slope of Sonora Peak, offering spectacular views. It was here during this feast for the eyes that I met Heidi for the last time. She and Dick (that's Giraffe's real name) had rented a cabin in Kennedy Meadows North as a way to celebrate Giraffe's upcoming birthday and rest from the rigors of the trek. I was invited to come along and join them, but I declined. Looking back on it now I'm not exactly sure why. I suppose it had something to do with my Tuolomne deadline, just the drive to keep going, putting in the miles, but I do have a tinge of regret for having said no. It would have been an opportunity to get to know them better,which I missed. Not too often you have those chances with southbounders. Anyway, we said goodbye with mutual wishes for a successful journey. Another half mile and topping a rise, the view to the south opened up, revealing the granite spires of the High Sierras. It was all that I imagined it would be, peak after peak sweeping like enormous stone waves to the horizon. That's where I was headed and I could feel my excitement build. After a fast and furious descent to Sonora Pass, I arrived at the picnic grounds, which had the luxury of a pit toilet. Sometimes when your legs are fatigued it's difficult to sustain a prolonged squat when using the toilet, that's why sitting on a seat over a hole in the ground seems so decadent. Ha. Met a retired gentleman who used to run the pack trains in these parts. He came over to my table to introduce himself and talk for a bit. If I remember correctly, he and his wife were attempting to write a book about the history of the mule. I think they'll need some luck for a publisher to get in on that one as I doubt it'd be a great seller. A quick circling ascent saw me in the high country south of the pass. Actually, it's the highest I've been on the trail, well over 10,000 feet and well above the treeline. Words are inadequate to describe the magnificent, breathtaking vistas, the crispness of the rarefied air. I felt like an eagle peering down into the deep mountain canyons and valleys from such heights. Altogether different from anything I've experienced or seen thus far. From boulders to blocks to rocky crags. Latopie Lake lake had incredible color. The dark brown of the muddy shore gives way to an opaque green in the shallowest waters gradually turning darker as the depth increases. Eventually, a sapphire blue appears and then in the center where the water is deepest, the darkest blue. Wow! Just below Leavitt Peak, I actually had to kickstep in some slippery snow that still lay in a great big patch across the trail. As the daylight waned it became a race to get below the treeline as the wind kicked up and the temperature began to drop. I suppose I could have handled both the wind and the cold, but the fact that there really were no places to pitch a tent made my decision for me. I had to get to Kennedy Canyon. I dropped down a thousand feet on a pair of long traversing switchbacks and was back in the trees, sparse at first and then gradually denser. I have a nice camp just off trail in the middle of them.

East of Sonora Peak

The High Sierras

Stone Gateway to Wonderland

26 miles






No comments:

Post a Comment