Friday, October 29, 2010

July 9th Near Methow Pass to High Bridge

I'd been dreading this day having read a journal entry on the PCTA website recounting the treacharous snow conditions in this area. However, to my relief the past five days of sunny skies and high temperatures had allowed for a good deal of snow melt. Not that there wasn't a lot of snow because there was, especially towards Cutthroat Pass, but generally it was soft and getting through it not as nerve-racking as the last few days. Coming into Cutthroat Pass, what do my eyes behold? Three women in shorts and T-shirts chatting on a sun-warmed island of rocks amidst the snow. I thought I was hallucinating. Ha! They had come up on a day trip from the Lake Charlotte trailhead and graciously offered us some tortilla chips (Mmm-salty) and a delicious apple (Mmm-juicy). John and I chatted with them for a while before heading straight down the other side of the pass. Since it was snowbound, it was like half skiing and half giant steps as if we were going down a sand dune. We continued this way until we caught a glimpse of some exposed trail. This marked the end of the snow in this section and it was time to get as close to Stehekin, our resupply town, as possible. Mile after mile on forested slopes losing elevation fast and pulling in to camp just before all light was lost. Not a good night at first because I was dehydrated and absolutely worn out. I had overexerted myself and my aching feet were a witness to it. Ouch! Hot feet- hot feet and tender.


Above Glacier Pass

A Beaver Dam along Brush Creek

Between Granite and Cutthroat Pass

25 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment