Friday, October 29, 2010

August 2nd Paradise Park to Seeping Spring

The last five miles to Timberline Lodge wove in and out of side canyons that are pathways for the glacial meltwater flowing down the mountain's flanks. It's nice to know that with an early rise I can still surprise some wildlife, this time two deer drinking at the Zig Zag River. I believe the best of my animal sightings so far have been in the early morning hours- some time before eight- and in the evening just before dusk.
The chairlifts were the first thing to come into view as I approached the lodge. Believe it or not, they were still carrying skiers/snowboarders up to the higher slopes on Mt. Hood where the snow remained quite deep. The lodge is really nice with an exceptional location befitting its name, right where the trees and rocks battle it out for ascendancy. If I had had the ducats, I would have grabbed a room. Instead, I went to the famed breakfast buffet, where I sampled just about everything, my favourites being the freshly squeezed orange juice and the waffles smothered in cream and strawberries. Didn't want to get too piggy though cause I planned to grab my resupply and head on out. Problem was no package was waiting for me. When asked, the shop assisstant said that mail usually came each day between 3-4 p.m. I called Tonya to be reassured that it would be here today. Well, with nothing else to do but wait, I found a seat in the common area and tried to doze as the greatest hits of the 70s was playing on the sound system---Earth, Wind and Fire, KC and the Sunshine Band, Three Dog Night, Bachman Turner Overdrive, War, etc. When 3 o'clock rolled around, I went back to to the shop to see if the mail had arrived. She said it had just come in, but her list showed no hiker box for an Eric Bow. Oh, no! Panic attack. Then she added, let me just check with the gift shop in the lodge and see if they have it. Turns out they did. Wave of relief. When I opened it on a bench in front of the lodge, all these goodies come spilling out, so much so that I thought, boy I'm gonna have trouble eating all this, but I'll do my best. :-) Resupplied and ready to go, I was off once more. Down the south side of Hood the trail turns to ash and dust with views of the glacial rivers and streams that seem to be (geologically speaking) eroding the mountain at an accelerated pace. Then, back into the forest where the goal is to make up for lost time. Several hours later, a final fantastic view opens up featuring the forested foothills, a giant golden meadow and the snow-capped peak of Mt.Hood bidding me farewell. I push on late, trying to find a decent camp and eventually find a beauty. Despite the delay, I manage close to a 20 mile day.

Zigzag River

Dust and Ash

Mt. Hood's Farewell

20 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment