Friday, October 29, 2010

July 22nd Tacoma Pass to Big Crow Basin

Most of the day was spent on a walk in the clouds. The reason I say this is that most of the day it was overcast accompanied by a strong wind. The Pacific Crest Trail ran along mostly tree covered slopes and ridges so I was protected from most of the inclement weather. However, mist swirled between the tree trunks and visibility was limited. At one point I entered an area which, according to the sign erected by a local scout troop, had burned in a forest fire that had broken out in a lumberjack camp back in 1988. The eerie combination of drifting mist and the skeletal remains of the trees made me feel as if I were walking through a cemetary at twilight. Over 20 years had passed, but there were no visible signs of a comeback by the trees, only brush and grasses at the roots of those that had perished. A mile or so past Martinson Gap I had my first fairly close bear encounter. I came around a bend and maybe fifteen meters away a bear was looking for grubs in the rotting logs along the trail. It was so focussed on what it was doing that it didn't notice me at all. Looking back, I should have taken out my camera, but instead tapped my trekking pole on the nearest tree trunk. That caused the bear to look up, though with its bad eyesight I guess it still couldn't see me among the trees, so I stepped out into clear view. That must have done it, cause a second later it was running away downhill. In general, bears are much more afraid of us than we are of them. They are wonderful creatures. This was not to be my only animal sighting of the day. Nearing camp in Big Crow Basin, I came across several elk lying peacefully in the grassy meadow near the shelter below the PCT. I stopped for a good long look, admiring the large rack of antlers on the male's head. I tried to pass quietly so as not to disturb them, but alas, the crunching of my steps was overheard and, being nervous creatures, they sprang to their feet and dashed off. Big Crow Basin was one of the nicest camps I've had on the trail. A clear flowing stream is nearby and I was able to pitch my tent among a stand of fir protecting me from whatever wind there still was.

Mt.Ranier

Judging Progress- A Look Back at Ranier


30 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment