Saturday, October 30, 2010

September 10th Little Round Top to Raymond Peak

A rough night experiencing stomach problems and diarrhoea. A real worry for me as I certainly can't afford to be sick in the high Sierras. I have to be at Tuolomne Meadows for resupply on the 15th because that's the date I gave my dad to come up from the Valley to meet me. The good news is I only need to cover about 23 miles of ground per day to get there on time. The bad news is that I feel weak and dehydrated. Uphill is turning out to be a real struggle today. Passing through a large meadow near Meiss Cabin this morning, the grasses, coated with a thin layer of white frost, were glistening in the slanting rays of the sun. It reminded me that from now on I'll have to dress warmer as mornings at this time of year and at this elevation are brisk. At a stream crossing a bit further up the trail, while I was bent over filling my water bottle, I suddenly heard another hiker on the trail. When I looked up, I saw a woman who asked, "Are you Eric?". Well, I was somewhat taken aback. Who on earth would know my name or be looking for me out here? As it so happened, I had just met Giraffe's wife, Heidi. Giraffe had told her about us running into each other yesterday and that she should look for me on the trail. We actually spent a good half hour talking. She drives a van, which is the support vehicle for their journey. Driving ahead to spots where the PCT crosses roads or to the trail head of side trails, she comes the opposite way and sort of meets Giraffe in the middle. Sounded to me like a great system, especially sharing the trail experience in a unique and supportive way. To be honest, it made me a little envious. :-) Towards the end of the conversation I began to feel light-headed. After she left, I had to take a seat on a nearby log because it felt like I was going to faint. I sat there for some time with my head between my knees waiting for the feeling to pass. When it did, I continued slowly down the trail. There are certain memories that stand out above others that are had on the trail. Sitting high on the trail along a steep ridge at 9,000 feet having lunch while gazing at the still waters of Upper Blue Lake hundreds of feet below was one of them. The sun was warm on my face and there were actually a couple of hawks circling below me. What a thrill to be higher than the birds. It made my spirits soar! I was definitely starting to feel better. One of my afternoon snack breaks was at Lily Pad Lake, a small lake that, true to its name, had lily pads lining its surface and reeds lining its shore. Sitting there admiring the scene with colorful dragonflies and mayflies flitting about and a fish or two swimming here and there, four horses, two dogs and a cowgirl came along to create havoc. The dogs jumped into the water scaring off the fish and the horses bending their heads low, took in deep draughts of water. The cowgirl was a little apologetic for disturbing my peace, but there was no harm done. I needed to be going anyway to reach camp for the night, which, when I found it, was 50 feet below the trail in a fairly dense grove of trees on the switchbacks leading up and around the side of Raymond Peak.

Near Carson Pass

Upper and Lower Blue Lake

A Cheeky Chipmunk

26 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment