Friday, October 29, 2010

August 24th Girard Ridge to Deer Creek

Last night was by far the hottest on the trail, so hot in fact that I barely used the sleeping bag. The PCT continued to climb out of Castella offering final views of Castle Crags and Mt. Shasta. Shasta's been a beacon since southern Oregon, so it felt strange to pass her by. Seems like most of the day was winding in and out of gullies, ever higher, and ever higher. When the afternoon came, so did the heat---like an oven. Sweltering in the exposed areas, making me ever so grateful for the shade and from time to time a gentle breeze. Plenty of water sources to slake a thirst. I stopped below the bridge crossing at the McCloud River to have an afternoon foot soaking in its rushing waters. Nothing rejuvenates the feet as quickly. Several times today, I was surrounded by butterflies I had disturbed on the trail. I think they too were enjoying the shade until I sent them fluttering. Sure beats those irritating little flies that hover right in front of your face as you're walking. Camped strategically just short of a creek so I can fill up in the morning. For the next three days water will become more and more scarce.

Trail Tootsies

So Long Shasta

30 Miles



No comments:

Post a Comment