Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 17th Combs Peak to Near Barrel Spring


Another lovely desert sunrise and from the high ridge of Combs Peak, I had a magnificent view of the surrounding hills and valleys. My morning pace was fast and furious as I wound my way through the hills. It was unexpected to see the marine layer this far inland, but as the day wore on the layer of cloud thinned and eventually burned off. The approach to Warner Springs was a pleasant walk on the oak lined path along Agua Caliente Creek, which was flowing quite well for this time of year. However, by the time I got to the cottonwoods and willows growing in the wash, the water had completely disappeared into the sand of the streambed. I took the Warner Springs Alternate into town, mainly to fill up on water at the historic Chapel of Saint Francis. Had lunch at a small table and bench that sits under an oak close to the entrance. Warner Springs was much smaller than I had thought. If I'd been passing through by car it would have been a case of "blink and you miss it". Another oak lined path led up and out of town to San Jose Del Valle, a vast space of yellow grass that screamed, "This Is Horse Country." Indeed, a number of paths criss-crossed the area and ladies and gents were out in force, loping along on their mounts. In the midst of this sea of grass is a small island of rock, which, from the right angle, looks like an eagle with wings outstretched. I simply had to take the short side path to see it and snap a shot. After several miles of this horse heaven, the trail began the climb into the San Felipe Hills, which had the all too familiar desert scrub. By this time the marine layer had returned, accompanied by a slight wind and misty rain. With inclement weather and little sign of a good place to camp in this inhospitable land of prickly brush and weathered stone, I began to think that it would be a long night. Just then, I spotted an opening in the hillside near the trail. Is that a cave? No, on closer examination, it was a man-made shelter carved out of the solid rock. A dust covered floor that was soft enough, a length that was perfect for my sleeping bag, and a true protection from the elements. I couldn't ask for more. Snug and dry, I saw the mists thicken and close around the entrance to my cozy burrow. Less than 100 miles to go! I can hardly believe it.
Eagle Rock
Shelter in the Hillside
32 Miles




No comments:

Post a Comment