Friday, October 29, 2010

August 15th Soda Mountain to Callahans

This morning, continuing side hills with a distinctive outcrop called Pilot Rock, a landmark that may have served as a reference point for earlier western travellers. The views were quite open and soon enough I could see Highway 5 snaking its way through the hills below. Coming out onto Windemar Drive Road after a somewhat moderate descent, I turned right for the mile walk along the road to Callahan's, my planned resupply stop. On the way, as I approached the trailhead to the south, a driver rolled down his window and informed me that if I was thirsty, he had just placed some sodas on ice next to the trail about fifty meters in. Well, a small detour for trail magic was rewarded with an ice cold Sprite, which hit the spot on this warm, sunny day. When I arrived at Callahans, a group of bearded Nobos was just leaving. Now, Jason and Cassandra had given me a task to fulfill the day before yesterday. At the annual PCT kickoff at Lake Morena in the spring, Jason and Cassandra had shared a campsite with a Nobo couple, Tradja and Swipe. From what I understood they had hit it off quite well and were interested in hooking up again along the trail if possible. Knowing that I would most likely be out front, Jason had passed me a note and asked me to forward it to these Nobos if I bumped into them to give them a heads up. Well, I asked the scruffy looking hikers coming out of the entrance doors of Callahan's if they knew Tradja and Swipe and to my surprise they said that they were inside having a late breakfast. Excited about filling Jason's request, I immediately headed into the dining area where a waitress pointed me in the direction of their table. They were a little startled to have a total stranger address them by their trail names (wearing my Under Armour Camo trail shirt, Tradja later admitted that he thought I was some kind of trail police:-)). However, upon reading the note, they were ecstatic and very much looking forward to the eminent reunion. At reception, I collected my resupply package and signed up for Callahan's hiker package. Forty dollars gets you access to the laundry and shower facilities, an all you can eat spaghetti dinner- first drink is free, an all you can eat breakfast the next morning and camping on the lawn behind the hotel. The reception staff were really helpful and even took some hikers into Ashland if needed. A large side room just off the lobby was used as a place for hikers to store their backpacks and sort through their gear. I grabbed a paper and proceeded to catch up on news of the world while sitting in a comfy chair in the lobby waiting for the shower to become available. When it did, I gave myself a thorough scrub, thus becoming more acceptable to the other hotel guests. At three in the afternoon, Jason and Cassandra arrived to be welcomed with open arms by Tradja and Swipe. The next several hours were spent in animated conversation sharing tales from the trail, offering insights into the journey and mind of the Nobo. Later, we were all invited up to Jason and Cassandra's luxurious room, where the talk continued along with some photo ops until it was time for Tradja and Swipe to find their way to the northern trailhead. "All you can eat" is music to the thru-hiker's ear and the spaghetti dinner did not disappoint. A nightcap of chocolate milk and an equally chocolatey doughnut made for a night of sweet dreams.

11 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment