Friday, October 29, 2010

August 5th Shale Lake to Big Lake Youth Camp

Whew. It was a hot one today! Started with forest walking but around the first turn I could see two medium-sized lakes in the valley below completely surrounded by burned trees. I don't know when the fire swept through this area, but it charred a great deal of land. There's very little shade in a burnt out forest. It was so searingly hot by 2 p.m. that I put my leggings back on to prevent the frying of my lower legs, which were already red. The area is turning more and more volcanic in origin. Ash and dust are at times the base of the trail, which makes for some tough walking. Saw several cinder cones when the views were right up high, and Three-Fingered Jack looked like the lone remaining wall of a stratovolcano with alternating patterns of red and dark grey in the rock. Lingering snow still remained on Three-Fingered Jack's shoulder, which had to be crossed. On the last hot, dry leg, upon crossing Highway 20, there was a cooler for PCT hikers. Ah! I could already imagine draining an ice cold soda. Unfortunately, when I opened it, all that was left were bottles of beer. Ugh! Bitter disappointment. Thank goodness I'd filled up on water at Rockpile Lake. I nearly collapsed when I finally dragged into Big Lake Youth Camp. My back was aching something fierce. Nothing that a hot shower didn't fix, the stream of water targeting and slowly loosening the knotted muscles. Feeling somewhat human again, I did a load of laundry-not that this time tomorrow they won't be soaked in sweat once more. Live in the present! A prodigious feast at the chow hall saw me gulping down glasses of apple juice and shoving in pizza by the slice. Sated, there was only one thing to do; gather my things and get back to the trail. As a final side note, let me say that the people at Big Lake Youth Camp were extraordinarily kind and helpful, which made for a great resupply stop.

Oregon High Country

Three-Fingered Jack

Fire Damage

29 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment