Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 3rd Red Carpet Cache to Agua Dulce

Back up into the hills and manzanita. The trail this morning was very much like that of yesterday except for two things. Number one, I met a lot more people along the trail as I believe there was some charity walk/run on the PCT south of San Francisquito Canyon. Either that or just a mighty coincidence that so many people were out getting their exercise at the same time. None were carrying packs like me, but they were carrying bright smiles on their faces, which couldn't help but be a little infectious. Some were out with their friends while others brought along their canine companions. Just as I started thinking the last of them had passed, another person/group would come around the bend. This helped to while away the morning hours. Number two, I noticed in the afternoon that the color of my piss had changed and the urge to go was much more frequent. At first I thought the color was caused by me not drinking enough water, but on closer examination, it wasn't a darker yellow; it was a tinge of red. There was now blood in my urine. Kind of unsettling to see the reddish hue emerge, as it appears completely unnatural, and certainly it was some cause for concern. However, I didn't panic. I knew that this was common among athletes, marathon runners for example, after they experience a period of prolonged exertion. I'd been doing a full marathon or more each day for the past two weeks, not at race pace mind you, but with a pack on my back laden with food and water and on much more rugged terrain. I'd just have to live with it until I got to the Sauffley's, which was only half a day out. In the early afternoon I arrived at what must be the most famous Pacific Crest cache. Oasis cache has been cut out of the manzanita, creating a welcome harbor of shade. Complete with folding chairs, an ice-chest full of sodas and a variety of odd and quirky decor dangling from the branches, it's a wonderful place to take a load off. I took some time enjoying my break, sipping a Cactus Cooler and putting my feet up as I leaned back in my chair. Ah, the simpler things in life! Eventually I prised myself loose after signing the logbook. Getting closer to Agua Dulce, I entered horse country and was even passed by several riders who were coming up from town. The hills are much more gentle here in places, sage replaced by yellow grasses. On the road walk through town, many of the places I passed looked like small ranches, with a horse or two in every corral. Near the end of Darling Road, I came to the gate of the Sauffley's, trail angels extraordinaire, who I had heard and read so much about. Unfortunately, at the time I arrived, nobody was at home. I took the time to introduce myself to their very friendly dog and enjoy an evening meal on the bench in their front yard before retreating to the driveway to wait. Just before dark, Jeff emerged from the garage. I called over to him and asked if they were up to taking a southbounder. He told me they were definitely open for business and called his wife, Donna, out to meet me. They soon had me settled into a lovely trailer home with all the amenities a hiker could ever want or need. It was marvellous to be cared for in such a way by what had been, until a short time ago, complete strangers. It was also great knowing that tomorrow would be a day of rest. I watched a couple of videos before going to bed, mainly just as an excuse to stay up late. Bedtime on the trail is much to early.

Oasis Cache

32 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment