Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 10th Near Silverwood Lake to Holcomb Creek

A slight scent of skunk permeated the air this morning. I didn't actually see any of the striped creatures, but the smell was undeniable and this area looks like perfect skunk habitat. Wound my way along the side of the hills until reaching Highway 173. From there, the trail turned east entering the canyon of Deep Creek. A thigh high ford left my bottom half dripping wet. However, it was the scramble through the brush and up the opposite bank that proved more difficult as no trail was visible. After a short walk on the alluvial sand below the great wall of a flood control dam, I picked up the trail once more. I had originally thought the trail would continue down by the creek, but a trail marker off to my left showed me the path that switchbacked steeply up the side of the canyon wall next to the dam. The PCT eventually levels off several hundred feet above the creek and there are great views of the massive structure of the dam and the green strip of boulder strewn creek bed that snakes its way up the canyon into the distance. Looking down you can see some whitewater as the creek rushes over the rocks, cottonwoods and willows lining the banks, and from time to time a sandy area beneath the shady branches that would be great for camping. High up on the sidewall though, there's little vegetation other than sagebrush and dry, yellow grasses. Seven miles in, the trail comes down to just above the creek at Deep Creek Hot Springs, which is one of the most unique features along the Pacific Crest. Hot spring water flows from the side hill into terraced pools, created by the clever use of sandbags, stone and cement, so that everything appears quite natural. The warm overflow of these pools joins the cool waters of Deep Creek at a sweeping bend which has a nice swimming hole. A mecca for nudists and sunbathers, by late morning, there was plenty of hanging steak. With the growing heat of the day, it was the swimming hole that attracted me, not the hot springs. Ignoring the prevailing trend, I eased myself in fully clothed. A swim, bath and laundry all at the same time. Gathering my breath, I sank beneath the surface, completely surrounding myself with the refreshingly cool water. Repeated it several more times before standing in the neck deep water so long that some frightened little fish returned and started circling round my legs. My drying clothes kept me cool for some miles on as the trail climbed further into the canyon, the landscape transitioning from sagebrush to scrub oak to ponderosa pine. At one point, I met a group of teens who had been frollicking at a swimming hole not far from a trailhead. One of them, intrigued by my rough backpacker appearance, asked, "Where does this trail go?' He was amazed to hear that the trail he was standing on actually went from Canada to Mexico. "I'm not in shape to do that", he said. I laughed to myself. That's probably the way many people feel when facing the prospect of a thru-hike, but the trail will whip you into shape in no time, either that, or it will just plain whip you. HA! At a footbridge, the teens went one way and I crossed to go another, leaving Deep Creek to pursue a path along Holcomb Creek. It was pleasant beneath the pines, but towards the end of the day I found myself in yet another area of fire damage. Prior to the trail reaching an extensive flat area in a high tableland, I stopped and made camp at the base of a large boulder. Fell asleep to a chirping choir of crickets with the land bathed in the faint light of a crescent moon and stars.

The Trail Above Deep Creek

30 Miles



No comments:

Post a Comment