Saturday, October 30, 2010

September 3rd Quincy-LaPort Road to Sierra Buttes

The views were back today. Yipee! Also, a day of easy terrain with the trail following the contours of the landscape making for relatively little up and down. Several lakes observed in the flatter areas below the trail, their tree-lined shores encompassing their shimmering blue waters, the sun glinting off the surface reflecting the light back up towards the equally blue heavens. Picture perfect weather. My progress can be gauged by my proximity to Sierra Buttes, the first exposed peaks I've seen since Shasta. The larger they loom, the nearer I am to my evening destination. I took my lunch break at a spring near the A Tree, the weathered remnants of what must have been at one time a grand tree. Again, I'm fascinated by and thankful for springs, these life giving sources of water. Gulp! With Labor Day weekend nearly on us, there were more than a fair share of hikers on the trail, most likely stretching a three-day weekend into a four. I also encountered mountain bikers on the trail this afternoon. I believe I was in the Gold Lake area enjoying the views when I heard the thrum of tire tread on the dirt. A lone biker sped out of the trees rounding the curve in front of me. I stepped to the side, and as he sped by he shouted, "Three more". Sure enough, in staggered order, three other bikers emerged from the woods during the next minute. In general, I had no problem with this even though bikes are not allowed on the PCT. However, I can see where bike use could cause potential problems. Riding like a bat out of hell will inevitably lead to a mountain biker mowing down a hiker. In addition, when the trail is wet, bike tracks create channels that any minor runoff will follow. Consequently, when it rains, the flat surface of the trail will be eroded. A little confusion set in when I reached Packer Lake Saddle, a junction of paved roads. I wasn't quite sure where the trail picked back up. Examined my maps, took the road leading uphill, and then after a half mile on the pavement turned right onto a dirt road that in another two hundred meters had me looking at some large PCT markers, which set me on the path again. Whew! I set myself up pretty well for the descent to Sierra City tomorrow. I absolutely must get to the post office before it closes. If I don't, I will have essentially lost three full days of trail time cause it won't be open again until Tuesday morning. I'm currently in a small camp about one hundred meters below the trail next to a spring that flows from the rocks out into a small meadow in narrow grassy rivulets.

Sierra Buttes

Packer Lakes

31 Miles



No comments:

Post a Comment