Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 21st Lake Morena to the U.S.- Mexico Border

With only 20 miles to cover, Cameron and I didn't get onto the trail until 9:30 as this would mean our finishing time would be more convenient for my sister, who had some refrigerator business to attend to. First time I've had a hiking partner since Jason and Cassandra back in Oregon. Wow, has it really been that long. It was with a certain sense of inevitability that I took the first steps out of Lake Morena. I knew this day would come; that one day this journey would end. Today was that day. The feeling of melancholy that accompanied those steps was palpable. Despite the difficulties and rigors of the trail, I would miss it. I'd miss the challenge. However, it was time to bring it to a close. With memories drifting through my head of people and places, vistas and views, hitching and hiking, the hours sped quickly away, as did the trail under my feet. I led most of the day until we passed the Cowboy Fire, then Cameron took the lead just a few miles from Campo. Border patrol agents zipping past us, fully decked out on their ATVs, we walked the last few miles side by side on the road that led to the hillock where the southern terminus was located. No feelings of being the great conqueror as I had envisioned, but a swelling pride in the face of my accomplishment. Tonya was waiting there for us, as well as my brother, Ian, and his family. I was happy they could share this moment with me. A few hugs all around and then I signed the logbook in tribute to those along the trail who have meant the most to me. No tears. Only triumph. Now the recovery begins.

Signing the Register

Leg Power

The Final Steps

20 Miles









3 comments:

  1. Well written log one of the best this year, congrats that you made it, I hope to have the darn time someday.... Maybe for my 50th BDay.... :)

    Cheers
    Dave T PDX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric
    Glad to see you made it, you did miss a good dinner at the internet cafe (kennedy meadows). Also figured out the water taps there later on. Safe journeys
    Picks up Stones

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant and vivid journal you write! Absolutely riveting. Incredible hike, monstrous pace, lightning fast town stops; you are an exemplary example of pure thru hiking at it's finest and a true inspiration.

    ReplyDelete