Friday, October 29, 2010

August 12th Outside Mazama Village to Near Divide Trail Junction

Spent a short time on trail with Jason and Cassandra before parting ways after breakfast. Found out soon enough why the Nobos at Mazama Village had so much black trail dust on their legs as I entered a large fire section. This one must have been fairly recent as little regrowth had taken place and the burnt trees were still blackened, not bleached and weathered. It took a while to get back into the cool of the forest winding my way up towards Devil's Peak. I met Eva the Moravian and Mr. Rotund motoring to Honeymoon Creek to wash off the black ash, soak the tootsies and eat lunch. One of the best views of the trek can be had when you crest the ridge at Devil's Peak. To the north, the encircling cliffs of Crater Lake and behind them, Thiessen Peak and the Oregon high country. To the south, the shimmering Sky Lakes region, Mt. McLaughlin in the foreground and Mt. Shasta in the back. Trying to take it all in at once, I had to stop swivelling my head around so much to keep from getting dizzy. There was also a great place for cowboy camping, but it was only early afternoon so the timing was off. Had it been later, without question, I would have stopped there for the night. On the trail round the back side of the peak, I picked up a minor injury. I heard a slight pop in the ligament in the back of my right knee, perhaps a little strain, but luckily it didn't effect the hiking. On the advice of a Nobo about Skeeterville at lower elevation, I pulled up early and made camp. While writing my journal entry, I swear I heard Jason and Cassandra pass by, or is my mind playing tricks on me. I'll have to investigate tomorrow morning.

Jason and Cassandra

Black Ash Path

28 Miles



No comments:

Post a Comment