Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 16th Cedar Spring Junction to Combs Peak

Not the most peaceful of nights, with mosquitoes whining and pesky flies buzzing about. Actually slept a portion of the early morning with my headnet on. It was a relief to leave camp and get back on the trail; not the PCT, but the side trail leading a mile north to the "clear water at Cedar Spring Camp---the only permanent water along the southern Desert Divide. Be sure to carry a full load of water away from Cedar Spring---the day's ridgetop walk is hot, sunny, and entirely waterless." That came straight from the guidebook. I couldn't believe my eyes when I arrived at the shaded flat and saw an empty trough and above it a muddy hole. If this was Cedar Spring, I had a problem. I'd just wasted an hour for nothing and what's more, I'd be without water until I reached Live Oak Spring (five miles away) and went down another side trail. Who's to say that once I got there, I wouldn't be faced with a similar situation. No drinkable water. I worked my way higher up the slope from the trough, but all I found was a large patch of dry ferns. That's when I discovered another problem. My headlamp, which I'd used during the early morning descent to the spring, was no longer in my pocket. I clearly remembered having it when I arrived, so it must have fallen out while I was walking around searching for water. I circled the area where I'd been twice, but had no luck finding it. It would be a terrible loss not to have it, especially with the days getting so short. Oh well, third time's the charm. When I made it up to the patch of ferns again, I still hadn't discovered the headlamp's hiding place. However, I did notice a faint trail that led even higher. Curious, I followed it, and lo and behold there was a second trough brim full, with water flowing from a pipe into it. Yes! The guidebook had been right after all. Jumping for joy, it was then that I realized my headlamp was still on my head! I hadn't taken it off after all. Boy was I left red-faced, feeling like an idiot. But then again, if it hadn't been for the headlamp, I may never have found the water. In the end, things worked out perfectly well. The headlamp was now in my backpack and I was returning to the PCT with a full load of water. The trail continued much as it had yesterday, high on the ridge with manzanita and scrub oak. When I entered into Penrod Canyon and the flats north of Highway 74, there were once again pockets of pine, but crossing the road, the brush and scrub returned. Walking south along the sides of Lookout and Table Mountain, I could see farms, ranches and the houses of outlying communities off to my right. I was even passed by equestrians out on a horse ride with their kids. I'd definitely lost that wilderness feeling I'd had just a few days ago. However, I was lucky enough to come across two water caches which completely satisfied my hydration needs. In the evening, there was a small sign next to the trail which indicated that I had just crossed into San Diego County. The end is near I thought. I'm close to home. I did the trail up to Combs Peak in the half-light of dusk. Some parts were so overgrown it felt like I was bushwacking. Once on top of the high ridge, I found a flat place to camp. Unfortunately, the buzzing little flies returned. Out came the headnet and down went my eyelids. Zzzz.

Horned Toad

34 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment