Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 11th Holcomb Creek to Doble Trail Camp

I started thinking this morning about just how many miles of blackened forest I had actually hiked through on the PCT, especially in the southern section. It had to be at least every other day that I was once again walking through a burned area. I remember the novelty of my first experience south of Harts Pass in Washington, how with a certain sense of wonder I passed between the remains of a destroyed forest. Now, with the passage of time and miles, coupled with the frequency at which I met such sights, the wonder had been replaced by depression and a frustrating sense of tragedy and loss. Nobody will see big trees like those flame-ruined ones I've witnessed in these areas for a generation or even longer. In the drier areas, I question whether they will return at all. Thankfully, I soon entered the pines and could put such questions and thoughts behind me. A shake of a rattle and my thoughts shifted to that of my own safety. There in the grass just off the trail was a rattlesnake, a timber rattler if I'm not mistaken. My worst nightmare would be to be bitten by one of these things in the back country far from medical help. Good thing they put up such a noisy warning. It's the fourth I've seen so far on my journey and I hope I don't come across many others. Rounding Delamar Mountain, Big Bear Lake came into view as well as the buildings of the recreation area on the far shore. Going down the back side of Bertha Ridge, I reached Van Dusen Canyon Road, which led into town. A dirt road in the middle of the woods, there was little chance of a hitch here. Five miles into town and it was only then that I discovered it was Columbus Day, meaning that the post office was closed. Argh! What to do? What to do? Hmmmm... Came to the conclusion that the best thing to do would be to resupply at the local market and then try to make some more miles on the trail, so that's just what I did. Actually managed to put in seven miles before stopping at Doble Trail Camp, which had all the amenities for PCTers---pit toilet, picnic table and even a small corral for horse travellers.

A Snake in the Grass

22 Miles (10 more to town and back)

No comments:

Post a Comment