Saturday, October 30, 2010

September 6th Sierra City to Bear Valley


Well, I'm back on the trail. My dad dropped me off at the trail head just outside of Sierra City. As soon as I disappeared into the trees, I came up short. I realized I'd left the maps for this section in the side panel of the passenger's seat in my dad's car. About face and double time to catch him before he turned around and vanished up the road to Reno. He was in a position to pull out onto the highway, but I needn't have worried. He too had noticed that the maps were still in his car. A second wave goodbye and my back country adventure continued. Truly, this was the most gradual ascent out of a trail town on the whole PCT. Super mellow. The goal for my return, like always, making miles. At lower elevation a mix of deciduous and evergreen trees with the occasional stream crossing. At higher elevation a much more rugged landscape moving in and out of stands of trees. Gazing towards the south while standing on the crest, the hazy outline of high peaks is seen on the horizon. Most of the afternoon and evening was spent on trail similar to that in the photo, at or around the 8,0000 foot mark. A hard adjustment in camp going from being surrounded by family at the weekend to completely alone tonight. Perhaps I'll have a nocturnal visitor. I am, after all, camped across from Bear Valley and my food is not yet in a bear can. :-)
On the Crest
26 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment