Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 4th-5th Zero Days at the Sauffley's

This morning Agua Dulce was socked in by heavy fog, which as it lifted, changed into a steady persistent rain. Lucky to be inside resting up rather than tromping through the hills. Donna stopped by this morning to grab the laundry basket full of my dirty clothes. She insists on doing the wash for the hikers who pass through here, so I'm sure mine weren't the worst she's had to deal with. She told me that she'd be going into a nearby community that had a supermarket later that day and I'd be welcome to come along if I didn't mind waiting. I told her that I'd be up for that. In the meantime she dropped off some fixings for pancakes so I wouldn't get hungry before we left. It was my first time cooking since I'd been on the trail and although a novice in the kitchen, the pancakes didn't turn out half bad. Then, I continued my video marathon that I had started the previous night. In the early afternoon Donna stopped by and said she was ready to go, so off we went. On the way there we had a nice chat and I was able to learn a little bit more about her and her life here. One thing I can tell you about her is that she's passionate about horses. Once we got to where she wanted to go, she dropped me off at Food 4 Less so I could do my resupply shopping while she ran some errands. I got the necessary things for the next leg of the trip and plenty of extras for my rest days. I'd decided to take two full rest days to gather strength and recover from the malady that struck me yesterday. Once back in Agua Dulce, the next day and a half was one continuous round of eating, slamming down chocolate milk by the glass, snoozing and watching movies. My legs were raised up on the sofa and the only walking I did was to the bathroom and back. I'm happy to report that by the evening of the 4th, my urine was once again clear. No more pissing blood. Donna continued to drop by from time to time to check on me and make sure there wasn't anything else I needed. The salt of the earth as well as a true force of nature that Donna Sauffley.

0 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment