Friday, October 29, 2010

July 30th Near Three Corner Rock to Cascade Locks

We all were eager to get to Cascade Locks before the post office closed, but there was a problem. Kristen had somehow lost her sunglasses and she and Steve figured the most likely place was a few miles back where the trail crossed a logging road. We had taken a short break there and with Steve rummaging for some snacks in one of her pack's side pockets perhaps the sunglasses had fallen out. Plan was that Steve would go back to see what he could find and Kristen and I would head for town. An easy trek downhill among pine and broadleaf until the trail paralleled the Columbia River, the lowest point on the PCT, and the road running alongside it. A few more miles and we reached the Bridge of the Gods spanning the Columbia with Washington on one side and Oregon on the other. At the time it was hard to get my head around the idea that I had just walked across an entire state, the Washington portion was now complete. We made it to the post office with plenty of time to spare. However, much to my dismay there was nothing waiting for me: no section maps and most disappointingly no new socks and shoes. The bright spot was that we could box up the items we no longer needed and send them home, so, goodbye ice axe, thermal bottoms and fleece vest, a weight savings of at least a couple of pounds. With the ice axe gone, any lingering worries about encountering more snow vanished as well. While we were finishing up business at the post office Steve arrived. Unfortunately, he hadn't been successful in his search for Kristen's sunglasses, but, to his credit, he had made very good time along the trail arriving just an hour after we had in Cascade Locks. Crossing into Oregon was a milestone that required some celebration, so we retired to the local pizza joint and placed our orders. I got a large meat lover's and nearly finished it off at the table. Steve and Kristen shared a large, but they also had salads. When our appetites had been satisfied it was time to go our seperate ways. So with handshakes, smiles, thank yous and best wishes, they headed to their hotel room and I headed to the camp next to the river. When I arrived, the camp host did everything in his power to assist me. He showed me the area beneath some evergreen trees that was reserved for PCT hikers, arranged the use of the office PC so I could access the Internet and send out some e-mails, gave me a local paper so I could catch up on the news, and pointed me in the direction of the showers. The first thing I did was set up my tent which was difficult in the high winds that seem to perpetually rush through the Columbia gorge. I took extra care to batten down the hatches as it were by placing stones on top of the tent stakes to keep them from being pulled up by the stronger gusts. Then I headed for the showers. After scrubbing off layers of trail dust
under a current of hot water I felt much better about myself. Wandered over to the camp headquarters to send off some e-mails and then back into town for a grocery run. Placed a call to Tonya, but she didn't answer the phone so I left a message that she needed to contact me at 6 in the evening, giving her the number to the payphone from which I was calling. With the chores done I went back to camp for some rest and relaxation. Spent most of the time dozing in my tent listening to the wind rushing past and rustling the tent flaps. When the time came, I walked back into town to await my sister's call. Just before six the shopkeeper from the grocery store crossed the street and asked if I was Eric. I said I was and then he handed me his mobile phone and told me I had a call from my sister. Well, I was certainly surprised by this. Tonya explained that you can't receive incoming calls on payphones, which I was completely unaware of, so she had resorted to calling the grocery store and asking them kindly if they could find me. Wonderful of them to be willing to fulfill such an odd request. Tonya told me that the manila envelope containing the maps for the next section should arrive by post tomorrow morning. I certainly hope this is the case. Bad news regarding the shoes and socks though as it turns out she never got my phone message. Argh! That means hitching will be required and my only experience with that mode of trnsportation so far was the three hour ordeal at Stevens Pass. Before ending the phone call I took the opportunity of changing two of my resupply spots to avoid hitching altogether. Instead of going into Sisters, a package would be sent to Big Lake Youth Camp. Callahan's would receive a supply package as it is only a mile off the trail, so I needn't worry about the sometimes troublesome hitch into Ashland. This was according to the advice and experience of Steve and Kristen who said it would keep me on the trail instead of standing on the side of a highway with my thumb out depending on the mercy of a kind-hearted driver. Oddly enough, while perusing the paper back in camp, I found an advertisement for a blow out shoe sale at a sporting goods store in Hood River, the town I'll have to hitch to tomorrow. The sale lasts from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. With luck, I'll hopefully be one of the early patrons. The day literally ended with a bang. A fast moving thunderstorm swept into the area and a bolt of lightning struck the ground not far from camp as the bright flash, which lit up the side walls of my tent, was instantly followed by a horrendously loud clap of thunder. That sent everyone who had been outside chatting just moments before, scuttling to their tents and RVs. Then the sky opened and rain fell in large drops. Such a pleasant feeling to be in a dry, cozy tent with conditions like this. The repetitive percussion of the rain producing a rhythmic hypnosis causing my eyelids to feel heavy and before I know it.....Zzzzzzz.
Last Steps in Washington
The Bridge of the Gods
Desperate for New Shoes and Socks
14 Miles




No comments:

Post a Comment