Saturday, October 30, 2010

September 4th-5th Sierra Buttes to Sierra City/ Zero Day in Reno

A magnificent, mountainous, morning descent with marvellous open views as the trail swings around the slopes of Sierra Buttes before reaching the shady, pine-strawed switchbacks which eventually deposit me on Highway 49. A mile or so walking along the shoulder and I find myself in Sierra City, which, from what I gathered from northbounders, is quickly becoming a popular stop for PCT hikers. I can see why---friendly people and laid back atmosphere. A little early for the Saturday opening hours of the post office, I went next door to the general store for the resupply town ice cream ritual. It was a tough choice between Ben & Jerry's Peach Cobbler and the New York Fudge, but the Peach suited my taste buds better. It was smooth and oh so delicious. A little self indulgence saw me downing a Hostess Lemon Pie as well. Got my package from the postal trainee and returned to the bench outside the general store While writing a message on the back of a postcard, I notice someone has stopped and is standing in front of me. When I look up to see what this stranger wants, I get one of the biggest surprises of the trip. It's my dad standing there with a broad smile on his face. Gave him a hug, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how he knew I'd be here at this time. Turns out he had heard from my sister about my mail drop in Sierra City and also my desire to hook up with relatives in Reno. A quick Google search gave him the post office hours and it was mere coincidence that he parked on the opposite side of the store and took the stairs up to the covered porch where the benches sit. Another five minutes and I would have been headed back to the trail. He was there to give me a ride to Reno and share the Labor Day weekend with me. Excellent. In trying to share all the experiences I had had during my two months on the trail, I reckon I started babbling. HA! It was wonderful to see him and to reconnect with the Reno Bows, most of whom I hadn't seen for quite some time. It goes without saying that it was a late night as I stayed up talking with them all.

8 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment