Saturday, October 30, 2010

September 18th Upper Crater Meadow to Vermillion Valley Resort

As usual in the High Sierras, the scenery was stunning. Up and over another pass this afternoon, but at 10,910 feet, Silver Pass didn't quite make it into the big seven. Quite steep in its descent in some places as I was making my way to Vermillion Valley Resort. When I reached Quail Meadows I took the trail that led along the north side of Lake Thomas A. Edison. It was a little too late in the afternoon to catch the ferry, but there was still plenty of daylight left, the trail was interesting enough and I saved the twenty bucks it would have cost for the ride. Walking along the far end, I eventually emerged from the wooded lakeshore at Vermillion Campground. Passing through the campground and hanging a left on a dirt road, I saw what looked to me like a country store in the faint light of dusk. I walked up to the door and entered. I asked the shop assistant if she could tell me how to get to VVR. She replied with a smile, "You're here." Good for me I thought, today's journey is over. Still, the resort was not what I expected. The name itself, Vermillion Valley Resort, conjured up images of something more luxurious. Not that I was looking for the presidential suite, I was only here to pick up the resupply package that would see me through the remainder of the High Sierras. Hearing that a Southbounder had arrived, the owner of the place came to greet me and set me up for the night. Retrieved my package and was then directed to the green canvas tent for hikers which contained twelve bunk beds. As there was only one other hiker there, I had my pick. After I'd settled in, I returned to the small dining area for the tri-tip barbecue that was the special for the night, a delicious load of animal protein. Was persuaded by the waitress to try to the peach cobbler. A great recommendation. Tasted like heaven. Mmmm. While I was eating, I was a captive audience to Rock Star, a 2009 Northbounder, who regaled me with tales from her thru-hike. I ate and she chewed the fat. At nine o'clock, I excused myself, settled my bill (bed was free, but a twenty dollar charge for handling the package and around thirty for the meal), a bid all good night. After all, nine o'clock is hiker midnight and I've got an early rise tomorrow.

Trail at Ten Thousand Feet

South of Silver Pass

29 Miles



No comments:

Post a Comment