Friday, October 29, 2010

August 7th Mesa Creek to Taylor Lake

No getting around it, today was brutal. Not because of the trail, which was relatively flat all day. I simply didn't feel very strong for some reason, like the strength wasn't in my legs. It was a hot day today and although the PCT stayed mainly in the trees, I don't think I drank enough. Pulling into camp, my feet were sore, my back ached, I was totally spent. I managed to do 33 miles- don't ask me how. All day I felt like I was crawling. The pesky mosquitoes just added to my misery. Leggings and head net required. It's a shame I felt this way because if I hadn't, I would have enjoyed the trail more. The early morning walk was particularly scenic wending its way through the middle of a large open meadow with the steep lava walls of Rock Mesa on one side and the dark green walls of forest on the other, the Three Sisters receding in the background. Every few hundred meters, I had to stop and turn around to take in the view. The afternoon was spent weaving past dozens of lakes and ponds. I ate dinner on a rock at the edge of Brahma Lake. When I finished, I leaned back and soaked up the warmth from the rock. It was so relaxing that I nearly drifted off to sleep. Shaking off the urge to snooze, I hiked a few more miles to the shores of Taylor Lake before daylight waned. I'm almost certain I'll sleep well tonight. My eyes are already half-way closed.

Farewell Three Sisters

Land of Lakes

Rainbow Cloud

33 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment