Friday, October 29, 2010

August 21st Salmon Mountains to Chilcoot Creek

Woke earlier than usual cause I need to make significant miles today. I'm noticing that it stays quite dark until after six. That certainly wasn't the case in June and July. Bow hunting season opened today so one of the first people I saw on the trail was a hunter all camoed up, carrying his bow at the ready with an arrow notched. Not that I'm a big fan of hunting, but the bow certainly seems more sporting than a high- powered rifle with a scope. Some of the terrain today was wonderfully rugged. I particularly liked the red rock areas near the Boulder Lakes region. Bluffs, boulders and sparse pine up top with the occasional patch of unmelted snow, every so often creeklets forming a narrow colorful strip downwards toward the lakes and grassy meadows. A land of contrasts between wet and dry. Great views of Shasta and the Trinity Alps as well. Thirty-six miles I put in to reach my pre-arranged camp at Chilcoot Creek. Disappointing as the creek was mainly semi-stagnant pools in a small bog with only a trickle of water as outflow. This meant mosquitoes, so I had to pullout the DEET. Still, I was able to clean up a little by rinsing three days of trail dust off my feet and legs. In the evening hours, under brilliant moonlight, curious field mice saw fit to examine the tent, but unfortunately for them the food was already secure.

Scott Mountains

Boulder Lakes Region

Trinity Alps

36 Miles






No comments:

Post a Comment